Ormiston Shelfield Community Academy is committed to serving our community. We recognise the multi-cultural, multi-faith and ever-changing nature of the United Kingdom. We understand the vital role we play in ensuring that groups or individuals within the academy are not subjected to intimidation or radicalisation by those wishing to unduly, or illegally, influence them. The academy promotes the fundamental British values of:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect
- Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
We believe in challenging opinions or behaviours in the academy that are contrary to these fundamental British values.
Through our curriculum, our behaviour system and provision of the Personal Development programme we:
- Enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England.
- Encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely.
- Enable students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures.
- Encourage respect for other people.
- Encourage respect for democracy and ensure that all pupils within the school have a voice that is listened to.